Nothing tastes as good as homemade Jam – it is happiness in a jar. It is lovely to be able to capture the taste of the season by preserving fresh fruit to enjoy all year round. Many people are put off by the process of jam making – simmering the fruit and waiting for it to reach the gel point. There is a much easier and faster way with no-cook Strawberry Freezer Jam which uses powered Jam Setta with Pectin. You can make up a batch of jam in under 30 minutes with a minimum of fuss and using only four ingredients. You will never go back to store bought jam again!
Strawberry Freezer Jam
(yield – 3 x 225g jars of jam)
250g punnet of strawberries
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup of water
25 g jam setta with pectin
3 x Glass jars with lids
- Thoroughly wash and dry jars. Place empty jars in an oven set at 150 degrees for 10 minutes to sterilise them.
- Wash and hull strawberries. Slice berries; place berries in a bowl and crush them with a fork or masher. You can use a blender if you prefer a smoother consistency to your jam.
- Measure one cup of crushed berries, and add the sugar. Let the strawberry mix stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix water and jam setta in a saucepan on low heat. Bring to the boil and allow to boil for 1 mixture while stirring constantly. Add jam setta mixture to the berries mix and stir constantly for 3 minutes until the sugar is dissolved.
- Fill prepared jars. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours. Jam will keep for up to 3 weeks in the fridge or in the freezer for up to one year.
Making Strawberry Jam using the freezer method is so easy and it really captures the taste of fresh berries. Freezer Jam Making would be a fun activity to do with the kids over the school holidays. They can help prepare the fruit and stir the berry mix. They can make some labels to decorate the jars.